- This event has passed.
Camas Hosts Food Drive Competition, Flamingo-themed Small Town Summer Fun, Aug. 2-7
August 2, 2020 @ 6:00 am - 9:00 pmfree, food donations welcome
August’s Virtual First Friday Week starts Aug. 2 and will feature daily summer inspired activities with a flamingo flair. New this year will be a Downtown Camas food drive called “Let’s Fill Those Backpacks!” which is a friendly food drive competition to collect needed items for the Treasure House food bank’s backpack food program and to create a fun competition among downtown merchants and employees.
For the First Friday Week event, a new summer or flamingo-themed game or activity will be posted on the Downtown Camas First Friday Facebook Page every morning Aug. 2-7. There will be prize winners chosen from those who post on the daily activities. At 5 p.m. on First Friday Aug. 7 there will be a Facebook Live event on the First Friday Facebook page announcing the winners from the week and offering many more opportunities to win for watching and participating.
The Let’s Fill Those Backpacks! food drive asks for donations of six items which are most needed: canned chili, canned ravioli, small fruit cups, packets of oatmeal (boxed), boxes of cereal and boxes of mac & cheese. These donations can be dropped off at any of the participating businesses. The business that has the most donated will receive a “Banana Split Party” for their employees sponsored by the Downtown Camas Association. Food donations will be accepted through Aug. 6 and the winning business will be announced on the First Friday Facebook Live event. Info on the Let’s Fill Those Backpacks! food drive including participating merchants can be found at downtowncamas.com/lets-fill-those-backpacks-downtown-camas-food-drive.
For the merchant First Friday passport this month, the activity will be “Guess the Summer Trivia!” Visit participating merchant Facebook pages and write the answer on the passport to the summer trivia question posted there. The passport enters you to win downtown merchant prizes and gift cards compliments of the Downtown Camas Association and sponsor Bear Insurance.
Daily activities include:
- Sunday– Morse Code Challenge and Caption This!
- Monday– Flamingo Seek and Find
- Tuesday– Animal Challenge and Best Flamingo Wear
- Wednesday– Pick & Pic – Pick a summer item and post a picture of summer fun
- Thursday– Downtown challenges, including the Downtown Trivia Challenge and Where Am I?
- Friday – Merchant Passport – Visit participating merchant Facebook pages to “Guess the Summer Trivia!” The more pages you go to, the more chances to win. (Passports are currently posted on the First Friday event webpage to give plenty of time to play)
- Facebook LIVE Event – First Friday, Aug. 7, at 5 p.m. on the Downtown Camas First Friday page, where the winners will be announced and you can win prizes for watching and participating.
In addition to the week-long activities, Attic Gallery and Camas Gallery will reveal new art on Aug. 7. Check their Facebook pages for details. To find out more about the Treasure House Food Bank, visit http://www.ifth-cw.org/ or call 360-834-4181. All the First Friday details and instructions can be found at downtowncamas.com/event/small-town-summer-fun-august-first-friday and on the daily posts on the Downtown Camas First Friday page starting Aug. 2.